Is it really only Wednesday? Monday, marked my first solo flight with all 3 kids. A wee bit overwhelming, but we managed quite well. In fact, I was able to load all of the kids up to drop Hunter off at school by 8am, got home put Grady in the bassinet, rocked Logan to sleep & had both kids napping for a full hour simultaneously! Woo Hoo! I took advantage of the moment and got in a little snooze in myself. (The laundry could wait.) Jared has been a major part of my success with the house & kids. Every night he bathes the 2 older boys & tucks them into bed (while I'm feeding Grady) then he does the dishes & cleans the kitchen. In the morning he gets up early to make everyone a balanced breakfast (usually including an egg omelet, sausage and waffles), gets Hunter dressed, makes him a lunch, packs his backpack, gets Logan fed & dressed, then makes sure I'm set up in the recliner with a glass of water & boppy before heading out to work himself by 7:15am! He would make an amazing housewife!! If only the benefits of his job weren't so enticing, I'd go back to work to try to support us and hand over the keys to this house!
Because of him, it's hard for me to fail. I am one VERY lucky lady!
Logan is a little more tolerant of the baby these days. (He doesn't slap near as hard and only throws his soft toys into the bassinet... we're getting there.) It's still hard to juggle the two little one's when they are both awake & needy. Hunter has been extremely helpful with both Grady & Logan. He loves to hold Grady, fetch diapers, play with Logan and help out around the house. I tell you 5yrs is a great age! He's so independent and desperately wants to please. I am so proud of him! He's also an integral part of why my day is a success, having a big brother around helps! It's too bad he's in Kindergarten now for 8 hours a day, I could really use the extra hands from 8-4p. Hmmm... maybe that's why people home school?!
Coming up on the 3 week mark of having 3 boys, two under two (under 15 months, actually) I am beginning to feel like maybe we can do this. A friend of mine recently said, "I think I misread the qualifications on my parenting application." I laughed at this, because my only other option would be to cry. It hit very close to home and I would bet my boppy that we're not the only one's to feel this way.
A tag line that I've taken for my own recently is, "Nothing scares me, I have 3 sons!"
To be honest, the last 2 weeks my slogan would have been, "Nothing scares me more than having 3 sons."
I've had a couple of dark moments since having Grady. I'd like to blame the raging hormones on those, because I was also having a lot of night sweats which I have never had before. But, things are looking up. I feel up to the challenge of raising these boys. Good thing, since there's no going back now! Ha Ha Ha. It was hard coming to terms with the fact that we would never have a biological daughter. Especially with 4 out of 8 of my expecting friends discovering they are expecting girls. (Three more have yet to find out the gender.) I kept asking God, if He is so graciously handing out baby girls, why didn't He throw one our way?! Don't I deserve that?! But, that's a selfish question to ask God! Obviously, He knows what He's doing and for some reason He felt we were better equipped to raise boys than girls. Time will tell why He made that decision. For now I'm just along for the journey, learning to be gracious for the precious gifts we were given without questioning motive. The flip side to my resentment is guilt. I realize that I sound like an irrational, spoiled brat to complain about my fertility or "boy"sterous situation. Really, I am grateful we were given the opportunity & privilege to have these adorable boys as part of our family. (They are pretty cute!) And, in the meantime, I am praying over my inherited daughters, their future wives. I'd encourage you to do the same.
I will leave you with some photos I took that didn't make the final cut on Grady's birth announcements. A sneak peak of sorts!~ I wasn't going to publish these until after I had sent out the mailers, but he's too cute, I just can't help myself!
He's precious and so are you! Can't wait to see you guys next week again and anytime you might need me, really. :)
ReplyDeleteJamie, you made me all teary. Being a mom is hard work and I often feel like it's the really good moms who are the hardest on themselves ;) You have an awesome perspective on what really matters and those boys (Jared included ;) are as lucky, lucky, lucky to have you as you are to have them, even on days that seem kind of wonky! xoxoox, Laura
ReplyDeleteawe Jamie the last thing you sound like is a spoiled brat. You are one of the nicest and most honest person I have known and entitled to vent a bit! And cheers to Jared for being such a great help. Just gotta make it through the next 2 years. Tell Hunter good work! Can't wait to meet him. Maybe this weekend?
ReplyDelete