If showering was considered a timed event in the Olympics I'd be breaking records. Today, while Hunter was watching TV with Logan & Grady was in the bassinet I jumped in the shower. As soon as the water soaked my hair Grady started wailing... um, ok must shampoo. Then, as I'm rinsing, Logan breaks in and starts in on the toilet paper while I watch helplessly from behind the steamed glass shower doors. I yell for Hunter to come help run interference so I can hastily condition my Rapunzel like hair. More screaming from Grady and yelps from Logan as Hunter attempts to drag him from the coveted Charmin 2ply. Rushed rinsing, a quick rub of the soap bar, time: 3.5 minutes. I shut the water off, grab a towel and run for the bassinet to save Grady from hyperventilating with a soggy hug. Hey, at least I managed to shave the leg closest to Jared's side of the bed while rinsing. That will have to do for now. Beat that Michael Phelps!
After I was completely ready my Dad offered to watch the big boys while I took Grady to Walla Walla to buy some fabric for a sewing project I'm working on. (It's taken me over 2 months because I really don't have time, but I love it and it's a creative outlet for me.) As I'm browsing through the colorful patterns of textiles Grady gets a bit fussy. Luckily the ladies at Sew & Vac weren't phased by this. I ended up taking him out of the infant carrier to bounce him while narrowing down my selection when a sour smell wafted up to my nose. Bummer. I made my purchase and my way to the car where I popped the back hatch and, right there on a busy corner of main street, aired out Grady's business for all to see at the stoplight. I would have saved it for home but I wanted to walk up to the Beehive while I was downtown to see my girls in the salon and make a much needed, long over due, appointment to get my haircut & colored. With a sweet smelling baby in tow, I headed up to show him off and chit chat a bit. By now I had left my Dad with the other two boys for nearly two hours, so I hurried home. Thank you, Dad!
But, wait! My mommy endeavors peaked this afternoon when I made my first attempt at a solo flight with all three boys at the store. Yes, you heard me right! After ensuring they were all properly fed (and one nap was under Logan's belt) we headed out. Now, when you're out numbered there has to be a system in place. First, park close to the cart return, preferably one with an abandoned cart left in it. Using the cart as a container I have Hunter hold the it while I load Logan, then I strap Grady into the baby Bjorn and off we go "sniff" oh wait, Grady pooped his pants. Open the back hatch (again) to change his diaper. Ok! Now we're off! I must admit, the "list" consisted of 2 items. It was operation "In and Out". Things went very well, I even ran into a few people who were witness to my "awesome-ness". I tried to look as calm as possible as if this wasn't a huge deal. (ha ha ha) Good news- no one freaked out & no one was lost. Success! (Although a bribery toy may have been purchased.) It felt so good! I think it's time for this Mom to start stretching her wings more often.
One small step for mom, one giant leap for my confidence.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Reading this with my jaw propped open in awe. I remember how proud I was the first time I took Chace to Safeway by myself... and that was ONE baby. You are my idol.
ReplyDeleteLOL I love you Kim! But, really I'm no idol, just a scared-y cat mom getting through each day as best I can. Some days I feel like a rockstar somedays I feel...well, just tired.
ReplyDeleteYou are a great Mom, I love watching your blog and listening to you dote over Chace. Anyone can see you are head over heels in love with your little man!